Top

Fixing Packages Preconfigured multiple times error during package updates in Ubuntu.

LINUX
PACKAGES
UPDATE
UPGRADE
SOURCES
APT
UBUNTU

After recently upgrading my workspace’ operating system to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, I went ahead to set it up as my old setup, i3wm, i3-gaps, and i3status-rust. Downloaded and installed my favourite browser, Google Chrome and the day went normally, no problem.

Next day, as usual, I try and update my installed packages, and I get hit by the weirdest error ever about how my packages are preconfigured multiple times. At least the good news was they provided where the possible source of the error might be.

Read More

Signing Github Commits using GnuPG (GPG).

LINUX
SIGNED
COMMIT
GITHUB
GIT
VERIFIED
GPG
SECURITY
TRUSTED

GnuPG (GPG) is a command line tool to integrate standard implementation of OpenPGP to address an integrity of data which is also accepted by Github to verify the integrity of the source the commits are pushed from.

We have probably seen the Verified tag in commits at least once in Github repositories, green Verified tag in commit means the machine and the person who pushed the commit is actually the Github user (as associated in the account) and no-one else.

Read More

Running OpenVPN server using SoftEther in Windows.

TRAFFIC
NETWORK
SERVER
MANAGEMENT
ROUTE
VPN
OPENVPN
ENCRYPTION
PRIVACY

I always thought about setting up and using my VPN server was complicated, not that I use VPN that often but it can be put to great use for several things. The process of setting up an OpenVPN server in Windows is pretty straightforward but can’t quite guarantee the setup to go smoothly and without any headache.

The headache, I am referring to is specifically the NAT set up in my Windows server, didn’t have the administrative rights to set up the NAT routing for OpenVPN which halted my plan to setup a personal VPN server.

Read More

Jekyll search using JSON, much faster than Google Search.

JAVASCRIPT
JSON
SEARCH
BUILD
FILE
CLIENTSIDE
JQUERY

Check what was updated. - Wed Aug 8 20:36:45 EDT 2018

I remember using and integrating Google Search results in various web projects of mine, including this blog but never did occur to me that using Google Search for Jekyll was pretty painful. It wasn’t the feature Google was providing their free users; it wasn’t the idea behind the implementation but rather the various factors required to implement it correctly. A small mistake in proper configurations could make our end goal turn south.

I did not notice this problem until a week after I wrote a blog post - Importing and exporting files using ReactJS. and noticed that while searching for import or export in my search page, the blog post was not included in the search results.

Read More